Thursday, July 11, 2013

Video: Making pretzels

Making Pretzels from Abi Porter on Vimeo.


Have you ever made soft pretzels before? It's surprisingly easy and I bet you already have all the ingredients! I went over to Sarah's house to make some a few weeks ago and I convinced her to let me film it, she's my go-to hand model ;) I see more recipe videos in our future.

Watch the video and let me know what you think!


this week
The most delicious soft pretzels 
Makes 8

(Note: Once you've shaped each pretzel you can then put them in the freezer. When you're ready to bake, just add 10-15 seconds to the boil time and a few minutes to bake time.)

1 1/2 cups warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/2 teaspoons)
22 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 4 1/2 cups
2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
Vegetable oil, for pan
10 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda

Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam. Add the flour and butter and, using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the dough from the bowl, clean the bowl and then oil it well with vegetable oil. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and sit in a warm place for approximately 50 to 55 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with the vegetable oil. Set aside.
Bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart saucepan or roasting pan.
In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope. Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel. Place onto the parchment-lined half sheet pan.
Place the pretzels into the boiling water, 1 by 1, for 30 seconds. Remove them from the water using a large flat spatula. Return to the half sheet pan, sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake until dark golden brown in color, approximately 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.

13 comments:

  1. love that you made a video! I def want to try these out. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video is amazing! I've made soft pretzels before but weren't as soft and perfect as I hoped, I need to try this recipe:)

    -Courtney
    www.alwaysrooney.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I think hat it's great that you made a video. I hope you make many more because it seems like you've got a talent there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drool!! These look amazing! I'm attempting to stick to a paleo diet for a few weeks, but this might have to be my first order of business once it's over!

    Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I told myself that I'd pick up the boy's toys in the living room while I watched it...but I couldn't take my eyes off of it! How on earth are you able to make things like pretzels and boba tea so beautiful?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only do these pretzels look delicious but I also wish I had your video skills! amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes me miss my oven incredibly...

    ReplyDelete
  8. These will be going in my oven as soon as the heat wave passes!!!!!!

    Kacie

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is incredibly lovely! tehehe, i think i spot you/tripod in the reflection on the mixing bowl :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. the video was amazing! all your videos are amazing actually haha. and i always love the music you choose for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um, I've made pretzels a handful of times before, but it was never as lovely as this! :) You have some serious talent! I wish I could have you over to make a video of some of my little life here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please say hi!

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS